Sunday, April 5, 2009

Pet Finder Wins Again

Pet Finder, if you have not heard of it, is a wonderful way to find a pet that needs a home. Usually this pet has been rescued, or sometimes relinquished by his family. Through Pet Finder, you can find a dog, cat, or any other kind of pet, in your area. You can also list an animal you may have rescued with Pet Finder, and they will help you to find it a home. Check it out.

"My son's favorite animal has been a turtle ever since he was about four years old. He even played a turtle in in a Musical Theater production. At eight, his pet rat died and, instead of getting another "furry" creature, he asked for a turtle. I told him I would think about it (with no intention of getting one)."

"Occasionally I look on Petfinder for dogs, etc. On this particular day I decided to look at reptiles. Of course the first thing that came up were turtles! In reading all the specifications for adopting a turtle (75 Gallon tanks, as a minimum) I thought there was no way we could do this for my son. Then I came across a little paint turtle with "special needs." He was a confiscation and had been in a fire, from what the adoption people could tell me. He is missing his back toes, one eye and half a tail, and his shell is not quite "up to par." He needed shallower water than most turtles his breed. I made the call to MATTS. Katrina was so helpful and supportive. She explained Joey's history as far as she knew and helped me make a list of the items we would need to adopt Joey. I then showed my son a picture of Joey from Petfinder. I also showed him a picture of a "normal looking" turtle....(No war injuries or badges of courage)."

"I asked if this was really the turtle he would be happy with. He wanted to rescue Joey and give him a better life. He didn't care what he looked like. I can honestly say we made the right decision adopting Joey. My son feeds him and talks to him every day. On the sunnier/warmer days, he takes Joey outside in the backyard. When Joey hears my son talk to him, Joey looks around for my son and then begs for food. Joey has personality and charm....for a turtle :). We think he is quite a handsome fellow, despite his past injuries. Both my son and I are looking forward to setting up a "pond " in the backyard for Joey when the weather is consistently warm and sunny. My son intends to take Joey outside to his "pond" when he plays in the yard. I have been told that if Joey is in the real sun, his shell should re-generate more quickly. ( of course he will have shade, too). Thank you, Petfinder, MATTS and Katrina for helping us find a great pet for our son. Joey thanks you, too."


2 comments: