Saturday, April 18, 2009

The story of Ruby and William Wallace

This is a guest post from Brooke, one of our volunteers with the Humane Society for West Texas. She tells the story of two of the many animals she has helped save.
_________________________________


In late January of 2009 I was driving to pick up my two girls from daycare. They go to a great school, it’s just not in the best part of town! I was turning on to Broadway from MLK and I glanced over and saw a beautiful Australian Shepherd wandering around the Kwik-O-Food convenience store. I didn’t see her again for a few days and then saw her again, wandering down the block behind the convenience store. I pulled over to her and offered her a cereal bar. She came right up to me and just started licking me. She led me through a gate into a backyard. I went to knock on the front door but no one answered. When I was getting ready to leave, I went to check on her to see if she had any food. She didn’t have anything, not even a dog house! Then I noticed something was peeking out from underneath a hole on the side of the house.
It was her 8 week old puppy, a little fur ball!
I left a note on the front door before I left, explaining to the “owner” that I found their dogs and to please call me since it looked like they weren’t being cared for. I never got a return call. I came back the next day with food and water and decided I would take care of them at the house (it turned out to be an abandoned house), since the Humane Society of West Texas didn’t have any foster homes open at the time. I went there everyday for 2 weeks, playing with the mom who I named Ruby, and trying to get the puppy use to humans. Finally a foster home opened and they were able to have the proper shelter and food they needed! They received baths, flea/tick treatment, vaccination, microchips, and a loving home all in one day. They both have been adopted to great homes. Ruby (the mom) was adopted the first day she went to Petsmart. William Wallace, the puppy, was pretty much a feral dog until 12 weeks of age. He went to 3 different homes but finally found a loving teenager to take great care of him. I love being able to help an animal in need and, with the help of the Humane Society of West Texas, we are able to do that for thousands of homeless animals.

Brooke Ham
Volunteer for the Humane Society of West Texas

2 comments:

  1. It's great to know these two found a good home! Hopefully we will learn where they are now and how they are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea! Great story!

    P.S. In response to your comment over on my blog (about the rescue transport with Heidi the puppy) I would love for you to guest post my story. Email me at heathercherry1979@gmail.com.

    Thanks! :o)

    ReplyDelete